Tuesday 15 February 2011

A week ago today....

at this very moment, I was lying on the grassy patch at the top of the hill in a local woodland counting ladybirds with William.





The two younger boys were not at school as they were both still recovering from colds. So we took advantage of it and went to the woods.
The bigger boys were all playing on the rope swings and all getting on so well. The sun was shining. It was gloriously warm and the boys had all taken off their jumpers. They were inventing games and testing their strength. At one point they were almost inventing a new olympic sport....synchronised swinging!





Tom came over to me at one point and said how lovely it all was. Just like when we first started Home Education. I was thinking the very same thing.









Then they went off in search of a longer branch to hook down the other swing that someone with a Health and Safety issue, had looped up in the tree!




The peace and quiet was wonderful. It was one of those perfect moments.
I was totally happy.

And then it happened.

Tom came walking over with a very white face and clutching one hand with the other. He had caught his thumb with the folding saw and pretty much ripped the nail right off. It was torn down one side and all across the bottom, but hinged along the other side.

Whoosh. Back to reality with a jolt.

9 comments:

Louise said...

Ouch! Hope he's all right. Yes I can see that would kind of ruin the idyllistic(?) moment. It's the sudden and loud removal of a needle from the record effect isn't it? Funny to look back on but not at all funny at the time.X.

globeonmytable said...

Is he all bandaged up and painkillered?

Carolyn said...

Yes, Louise! Very much so!!!
And yes, he was all painkillered and bandaged up but not by the NHS after our 2 and a half hour wait at A & E. What a waste of time that was! Patched up with a plaster after some excessively rough cleaning with saline solution that pulled up the remaining piece that was still attached. We rectified the poor wrappings upon our return and kept himself topped up with ibuprofen for the first few days. He will of course lose the nail and we do not know if it will gro back properly...we just hope that not too much damage was done *shudder*

Carol said...

Oooooh yuk :-P
I'm really not great with such medical emergencies! Hope all is well with his nail eventually.

And warm.....what's warm? Forgotten about that concept. Roll on spring............

Becks said...

Eeek. And Ouch.
I hope the recovery is comfortable and easy as possible.
And what an end to an idyllic time.
xx

globeonmytable said...

I did something nasty to a nail and it grew back normally. I didn't believe this until I saw it.

A friend said he had gone through this already and showed me his nail as evidence that it had grown back fine.

I kept bandages on it for ages though to protect the area.

Anonymous said...

I just love the pink hair Tom!
looks like you were all haveing fun
hope Toms feeling better with his poorly finger
love Granny
it was great to see you all!!

Carolyn said...

Well my experience of nails is not so positive so I guess Im preparing us both for the worst!!! I split my middle finger nail on a wooden box at pre school when Tom was only 3 or 4 and it has never recovered. The nail always grows with a split down the centre and I have tried everything!!!!
But I have my fingers crossed that all will be well xx Good to hear a success story :-)

Anonymous said...

Ouch,and ouch!!
Wonderful pictures, lovely to see your blogposts.

Rob's Auntie Rose x