Friday 6 February 2009

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow


Willie's snowman (well, daddy made it) prior to having it's nose stolen by Sophie!!! We must have the only vegetarian dog in the world! When I'm cooking dinner she actually sits and begs for the carrot ends, and if you cut cucumber for sandwiches she drools for a slice!! Bizarre.
On the Sophie front, I watched a DVD called The Dog Listener and it just gave me a reminder of how important it is for me to be the Alpha female. She didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, but I did need the reminder that Sophie's behaviour is typical of a dog who has seen a gap in the leadership team and taken it upon herself to be in charge. So maybe we might try a few of the things suggested before we give up completely. It also made me think about the need for me to be in charge of the house too. I have been feeling a little like the chief cook and bottle washer for a time now and maybe that adds to the dog problem. I am certrain it is all worse during these winter months and that once the sun is out I will feel better and more in control. Don't get me wrong, the boys and Rob are great and all help out with things generally but maybe that in itself is making my position feel a little threatened? Like they could actually get along quite well without me. I'm sure they would all do the clothes washing eventually when their trousers started getting up and walking off by themselves!!!! Yes, I have 4 boys, and it does get that bad!!!
Time for some changes at home I think. Not sure I feel good about rehoming Sophie, it certainly causes me to become upset when we talk about it. We all love her so.
Off to nurse my sore throat and earache by watching Alan Titchmarsh's Nature of Britain. Trouble is, it just makes me want to travel. Survival Family on Tour. Hmmmmm.

6 comments:

funkyhan said...

didn't realise you were having issues with Sophie :( hope it all works out!!

We are missing you, but hopefully we won't be contagious by mid next week!!

Big mamma frog said...

Aww hang in there! Jan and Feb are always the worst months for us here and the niggles of insanity tend to creep in under the armour! I've been trying to keep the bogey men at bay by sowing some seeds in my heated propagator. In my heart I know that I'll have lost interest in them in a few months and they'll die of neglect, but it's so good to be growing something - ANYTHING! And, hey, it wont be that long till we'll be moaning about the heatwave and wondering why we didn't stock up on cheap suntan lotion in January ha ha! I'm so rubbish at being chief cook and bottle washer than I know everyone in the house could do a better job than me (just don't tell them though). And I'm sure my mother despairs at my domestic incompetence lo. Maybe you should get yourself away for a weekend, let the family fend for themselves and then return, reinvented as the 'family goddess'?! Hope you sort things out with Sophie. We watch the Dog Whisper alot -the guy is fab. Though when I try and implement any of his stuff, Jack just looks at me as if I'm mad. I'm such a sucker for a pair of fluffy ears I think he knows I make a lousy pack leader!

Carolyn said...

My problem with Sophie is that she is so great in the house and has THE most adorable pinky/brown nose. She also looks amazingly like my old boy Sonny that we 'lost' just over a year ago.
And of course you are right, Jan/Feb are the worst months aren't they. As for a break, well, I just don't know where I would go by myself!!! Thinking of escaping to Carol's very soon...but with all 4 boys!! eek!

Liz said...

Sigh, I wish we lived closer. I could do with going out for a drinkie with you!

Carolyn said...

The feeling is so very mutual, Liz. Maybe I could escape to you for a day when the snow clears?
*hugs*

Liz said...

You're always welcome!