Saturday 18 July 2009

The Red Tent

I am really enjoying this book. I wasn't sure if I would as I've not been a great reader of fiction in recent years. When Rob picked it up from the library for me, he was unsure if he had the right book after reading the blurb on the back. He said he didn't think it was my sort of thing! And I guess he was right really. It's based around the biblical family of Jacob. Most of you will know he had lots of sons, the most famous of which was called Joseph. But it is really a story of women and their relationships with each other and the men in their lives. It is a very powerful story and it is very easy to forget that it is indeed fiction. It is so well written that it feels almost real. The Red Tent is where all the women go during their moontime, where it is celebrated and respected by all. A tradition that is lost in our society. Such a shame. I for one always feel inferior at this time of the month, especially as I am surrounded by males. I certainly don't get any respect or feel that I can take time out to celebrate it. It always just feels like such a nuisance that has to be endured, painfully sometimes but not always. Usually it is a strain mentally.
I'm not sure that this a review of the book! It is more a thought that has occurred because of it! The lady whose blog I saw it on, said that it was 'Time to read The Red Tent again' and I can see that this is a book I will want to buy and reread myself lots of times. Also to lend to friends. It's a fabulous book.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Yes, I enjoyed it when I read it too. It is very powerfully written, I remember feeling quite lost when I finished it, like I'd lost a friend!

Klaw said...

I too was devastated when I finished it! Wanted to read it again straight away but moved on to Call the Midwife, so that helped immensely ;)

Carolyn said...

Karen.....will check that book out. Would like to put a 'face' to the name.... can't access your profile. Do I know you? Apologies if I do and don't remember!!!

Big mamma frog said...

Hi! Looks like you've been busy blogging in our absence (We're back from a fortnight away, including HESFES). I'm also at a time of thinking and reassessing things, I guess it just needs to be done every now and then. Have never read The Red Tent and can't remember ever celebrating my femininity...

Carolyn said...

No BMF, I never celebrated my femininity either. Maybe it is time we did!!