Saturday 13 June 2009

Pockets of time...

Now although this first photo is obviously a coconut, there is a method to my madness. The title will eventually make sense, so bear with me!
Jonathan won this today at the village fete....He threw 3 balls, the first one knocked this off it's little post, the second hit a post but not hard enough and the third missed. But he was pleased with his prize.
Now David had the choice of throwing soaked sponges at the head teacher of the village school that he attended for 8 days last year, or the coconut shy. The first choice was tempting because David LOVES slapstick comedy and he really liked the idea of soppy wet sponges being thrown at a man in stocks....what a sport that man is!!! The queue was a mile long and all of them children, obviously! But for David the idea of it being the head teacher was just a little too dangerous for him. I don't think he could quite get his head around the whole idea of doing it to a man that he had looked up to in school...... interesting eh?!
So he picked the coconut shy...threw the first two balls and hit the smae post but the coconut didn't fall. The old chap really felt it ought to have done so moved it so it balanced precariously and then David missed it on the last throw. Never mind, it was a lovely gesture and David did actually hit it twice so he was happy really.
Then Jonathan had a go at the throw the darts at the cards game to win a goldfish (like we have anywhere to put one right now!!) which wasn't run by a member of the village. He paid for two goes himself. The first time he got one card, but when he went back again later on, he got three darts on one card. The lady said then that he had to get the three darts on different cards. To which he replied, 'oh, I didn't realise' and she said ' hard luck'. What a lovely lady! ( I really must curb my sarcasm you know, it is getting rather out of hand) At what point did she think it was a good idea to tell him that? The sign said '3 darts on 3 cards wins a goldfish' and as I wasn't there to question it, she got away with it. Hmmm Jon felt itwas very unfair but wasn't brave enough to challenge her, as David or Tom would probably have done. I know I would have!!!!

But Louis did us all proud! I entered him on a whim into the Dog Show, in the 'Dog the judge would most like to take home', and he came second!!!! I've neverdone anything like that before and my heart was pounding as I walked in to the ring. Anyone would've thought it was Crufts, not the village fete, the way I felt!!!!
Will walked the last half of it with me and was there when they handed us the rosette. He was really pleased and kept saying 'Louis got second place' all the way home.
Anyone spot the odd human smile on the dog there? Bizarre!
And this morning we made butter....from cream, by hand. The original instructions I found said use a jar and to speed it up add a marble, so knowing that my two have the attention span of a gnat, and David has the staying power of a chocolate fireguard, I opted to add the marble.
Mistake. The glass cracked!! It was a great big pickle jar too. So then Jonathan suggested the Tupperware milkshake shaker....an ancient item from my childhood, but it worked brilliantly!!
Here it is on this morning's home baked bread...yummy!
And these are the pages of David's latest 'lapbook'. It's called Pockets of Time, because it is made up of little cards with the main parts of each chapter on them, which you are supposed to order correctly as a reading comprehension activity. One pocket for each chapter.It also has a master card at the end for easy checking. This one is a Spiderwick one, and now has a lovely cover too. I think we will do A little House in the Big Woods one too, as we have begun to read it and David is REALLY enjoying it. Thats where the butter making idea came from, today.
So my post title is sort of because of the last item here, but also because it also describes blogging in a way. Each post is like a Pocket of time... a chapter of our lives, quite often for me it is in the order that they happen and it is testing my memory of our recent days/weeks etc The chapters of a book can all blur into the one big story until you separate them into little bits.
And isn't that like education too?You think you haven't been doing a great deal until you look back at your postings and realise how busy and productive you have been. It kind of happens in little pockets....quite often the boys get hooked on a certain thing for a while and then all of a sudden they move on to something new, without hardly mentionning the old thing at all!
Sorry if I'm rambling and not making any sense!! I t did when I started writing it!



3 comments:

Liz said...

You always do such lovely things, it quite puts me to shame!

funkyhan said...

YAY for Louis!! I would have voted him first (because I really would like to bring him home :D)

Big mamma frog said...

My boys loved House in the big woods - it's got such fab descriptions of survival skills in it hasn't it? We bought a book on pioneering skills (housebuilding, hunting etc) which I've lent to someone now, but it was really cool. Must try and track it down. Did you know that they also do some really lovely simple first readers (Little House Readers) to accompany the LIttle House series (also some chapter books for older kids). I can never remember which of your kids is what age, but Ds1 used them when his reading confidence wasn't great. They pick out little events that are in the main novels.