Monday 26 October 2009

The treadmill that is life.

It's been a busy week. We haven't stopped. It's been like a roller coaster of ups and downs, excitement and anticipation, fear and distress.
Some things have got done. Some things haven't. Time has been well spent and on occaision, not.
I have a mental list as long as the Great Wall of China of things that need to be done, things that ought to be done and things that I would like to do. It is rare for this list to get any shorter than it is at present.
It is a full time job just washing, cleaning, feeding and clothing a household of this size, without even thinking about the fact that 5 out of the 6 are male! That isn't taking into account the Home Education aspect of things. Then you have the fact that most of us like to be outdoors. We all like to make things in varying degrees; which means that perhaps we have more materials and ongoing projects around than other families might have.
We have more animals perhaps than ordinary families...cat, dog, rabbit, quail, chickens and ducks plus the horse down the road. We have also added the allotment to our list recently.
Maybe it is more accurate to say that we have our fingers in more pies than most people!!!!
Some days it all ticks along...well, speeds along, and other days it just all seems too much to deal with. Then even the normal day to day stuff seems insurmountable.
What I need is a ...dare I say it...maid. Not a housekeeper because I like to do the cooking but just someone who does the stuff that needs doing on a daily basis. The boring stuff!!! So I can get on with the exciting stuff!!!
I think I must be tired.
And why is it that we have joined the odd sock brigade? Until I had William, I don't think we had odd socks. It just didn't seem to be a problem for us. Now they are just an accepted part of our life. They even have a semi permanent home on the landing. Sometimes the pile gets really big and then we realise that there are now a few pairs in there, and then it gets smaller again for a while. But it is always there, laughing at me. Just like the dirt and dust around the house. The boxes of clean washing alongside the boxes of dirty washing. The number of boxes is usually the same, just that the ratio of dirty to clean changes.
The treadmill of life. I know that everyone is on it. But why does my wheel seem so much harder to turn sometimes than other peoples?

3 comments:

Carol said...

Sounds like you need a break :)

I guess we all have times where we feel like that, especially when we add home ed to the list.

Actually, I'd like a housekeeper - could do without the cooking myself!

funkyhan said...

I've alway had odd socks... even when I was single!!

I'd love a housekeeper too... to do the cleaning and tidying and shopping... and planning meals and occasional cooking... I'd make the fun stuff with the kids... and of course she'd take all the laundry home with her and bring it back dry and pressed and folded and put it away. And she'd be able to find places to put everything. I can dream :)

You're doing a great job. If raising kids was easy, everyone would be doing it as well as you :D

Is the rain making you feel as miserable as it is me?

Louise said...

Oh Carolyn, I know how you feel. As it is halfterm this week I have had a busy few days. I love being a mum and a wife and running a home and all the rest of it, but it does wear you down at times. My least fave bit is when the children argue over... nothing. GRR! SHUT UP!!! But it's all part of the treadmill of life isn't it? I still think being a full time mum beats working in a boring office, as I did in a former life! That was flipping boring... must get together soon?