Thursday 1 October 2009

Use the fork.....

Sorry, couldn't resist the title!
Some before and after photos of our allotment today.
This is the view from the gate down the central path..ours is the patch on the left of the path, and you can just make out the fence posts on the far left of the photo.
This is the view from the other end, up the path. Our plot now being on the right of the photo, with the tall fence at the end!!!


This is after a couple of hours....


And this is what it looked like when we left at lunchtime. Feeling very pleased with ourselves, but enough for one day, I think!



It is ours officially of today, so we were down there before 9 o'clock this morning trying to clear the weeds. We did really well and discovered that not only did we inherit raspberry canes and rhubarb along with the mountain of sow thistles and nasturtiums, docks and buttercups, we also have a row of very neglected and weed choked strawberry plants. We dug them up and brought them home. I spent a while this afternoon, relocating them in the bed that we recently emptied the compost bin on to. There is quite a substantial strawberry patch now, provided that they all survive the move. Fingers crossed xx
Jonathan and Rob did most of the heavy work, although I did my fair share and can feel it this evening!!
I also thought I would tell you about the amazing Merlin. He is basically a house rabbit, with a cage in the house that he sleeps in at night containing his food and water, an outdoor area with shelter and a litter tray in the living room for when he is playing with the children or relaxing in the evening by the fire!! I heard that!!! I heard you snigger as you read the bit about playing with the children. Or maybe you didn't..maybe you just visioned him sat on someones lap as they stroked him?
I said played with the children and that is what I meant...I wish I had it on video to show you, and I will endeavour to capture it, because it is a regular occurance, not a fluke or one off!!! It is worth seeing.
This rabbit actually picks up the bricks/playmobil/animal and moves it!!! When William or David are playing he sort of goes up to them, picks something up and tosses it to them! It is just so funny to watch. He also does it if something is in the way of where he wants to sit. He just picks it up and moves it to one side!!
He also jumps up on to the sofa, as he just did while I'm typing this, and has a look at what you are doing and then jumps back down again. Funny little fella!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hiya!
gooseberries i'll send you up the punnets you just fill them for me i LOVE goosegoggs as us cornish some times call them.
granny cornwall

Liz said...

I am most impressed with your allotment work! Just off down to mine now, so much harvesting to do!

funkyhan said...

COOL! You inherited lots of good stuff for your allotment!

Oh, and after having had a house rabbit of our own, I completely believe you!!

Sarah said...

*laughs* our Jeff does that with a tennis ball! You can roll it at him and he'll pick it up in his mouth and fling it back at you. He's so much fun, just wish he wouldn't keep trying to burrow into our carpet! :)