Monday 17 August 2009

A glimpse at what other people eat.

I have just spent 2 hours watching TV. In bed!!!!! I hurt my back this morning. Not really sure how but it is all down one side of my bum a bit like sciatica.
That isn't the reason for my posting. It is what I watched that has got me typing!!
I found the link to this programme via another blog and as she put it on her blog...my flabber has been ghasted!!!!
Do people, or more importantly, why do people, spend THAT much money on such awful food?? One family of 5 were spending £330 or more a week on food which totals something like £17000 a year!!!!!!! OMG
It really is worth watching. There are 2 to view on iPlayer now and another one to be broadcast next wednesday, or I guess, thursday for me! At the ned of the 2nd episode, I think that they said next weeks family spend £21000 a year on food!!!!! Does look like a big family but goodness me.
Economy Gastronomy is the name of the game! A bit twee, but I guess living frugally or within your means just doesn't sound as up beat does it?!!!
They take the family's weeks worth of shopping and pile it up on the table, before axing their current budget by about £100 a week and giving them a menu planner and some cookery lessons!! I do not usually go in for such 'reality' TV programmes, (hence no TV license here) but this was a good way to spend my time this morning. A good ego boost. A much needed pat on the back and a reminder that I need to give myself a break if we buy a pizza from the co-op for tea if I'm shattered or we are late home. This is a rare occurance for us. Some people eat like that all the time and much worse. Ready meals and takeaways every night of the week.
I sound a little smug here. I am sorry. I do not mean to. Obviously the people on these programmes are extremes and have probably been exaggerated for effect. We are not perfect when it comes to food or spending our money, but we try. And judging by that programme, we are doing pretty well.
So thank you Greentwinsmummy for the link. I am enjoying reading your blog!

2 comments:

Big mamma frog said...

Yes I'm often stunned by what people buy for their weekly food shop and how much they spend. And how much posh food some people eat - you know the trendy stuff or 'superfoods' or branded products. Do you think it's upbringing? When I was a kid if we couldn't grow it or shoot it, then we didn't eat it lol.

Though I have to admit, if I gave up alcohol and chocolate our weekly bill would be considerably smaller!

Carolyn said...

Upbringing is a part of it I think yes because although as a kid we ate homecooked stuff and homegrown veg, my mum bought Kellogs, Heinz Persil, Fairy etc etc I have to admit I am a bit like that, although now we use alot of Eco stuff and bicarb of soda and lemon juice for cleaning (when I actually do any lol!)
But is it also peer pressure? There is also so much more of it about too isn't there.
Advertising convinces people they don't have the time even when they do.
I dunno. I saw a book once about what the world eats. Similar to 'Material World' where it shows a family's belongings in lots of different but this one was a months food. It was shocking.
I used to have chocolate issue but rarely eat it now and alcohol and me only work when I'm not tired!!! Hmm the odds on that being in an evening is unlikely!!