Saturday 15 August 2009

'Magical Merlin' or 'Now you see me, now you don't.'

Disappearing rabbits I thought I only happened as the result of a magic trick by a magician using a wand and a hat.
How wrong could I be!!!

I would do a photographic representation for comic effect but that might be deemed childish!!
I looked out of the french doors in the kitchen to see Merlin munching away happily on the grass underneath the pirate ship. I made a cup of tea and then looked out again. No rabbit. I expect he's gone back under the table I thought to myself....nope. No rabbit there either. Nor under the quail hutches or in the little house or run where he had been sitting happily earlier on today.
No Merlin anywhere.
He couldn't really have squeezed his bulging tummy through the palings of the fence half way up the garden could he?
Or under the side gate? Surely not!
We looked all over the garden including the end where the shed is and the only possible escape route all be it piled high with fence posts and spare wood etc We walked around the lane behind our house but no sign.
David was extremely upset by this point. 15 minutes had passed from noticing that he had gone. It was beginning to feel like we had lost him, when a cry from next door of 'Mark's got him!!'
What a relief!! He had got down the side of the shed and thankfully Mark had a small hole on his side that he had covered with a large piece of wood secured with nails. He had pulled it off and there was Merlin in the gap. He just grabbed him quick and it was all over.
Thank you, Mark!!!!
A few hours later, Mark popped round with a roll of chicken wire for David to make the garden secure. Our hero!!!! It was only yesterday he'd popped round with a bag of chicken feed to say thanks for taking care of their animals while they were away last week.
Faith in humanity restored. Thank you, Mark. It is all very much appreciated xx

1 comment:

Big mamma frog said...

Ah yes. Thought it was just our rabbit that did that. Although ours is also fiendishly good at burrowing which means that chicken wire = chocolate teapot. Am just humming the tune to The Great Escape. Very catchy tune. (I think I need to go to bed). Hope all well with you guys.