Tuesday 28 April 2009

Home Education takes over the world....well, maybe not just yet!

Now, it seems to me that there is a dramatic increase in the number of families starting out Home Educating, or considering it at least. I belong to a number of Yahoo groups and it never ceases to amaze me the number of new people asking about HE. There must have been half a dozen in the week alone!
When we started HEing, I had only just found out that you could, from an old school friend of mine (Thanks Liz!) despite having worked in education for almost 10 years! I knew absolutely nothing about it. My initial thoughts were, as I'm sure most people's are, school at home, but then with a little research, I realised we could just live our lives and learn along the way. Even then it sounded daring, brave and almost slightly unbelievable! What about all those people who had done it before us....for years!!! How come they knew and I didn't?
Now it is just evrywhere.....it is almost constantly in the newspapers from what I gather, and although I keep my head firmly planted in the sand when it comes to the threat of new legislations regarding HE, I do have a nose at the blogs of those who have their nose right in the middle of the action, so to speak!!
But how could the government suddenly start monitoring all the HEing families more closely, when the numbers are increasing daily? And isn't that because it is now so well publicised because of the articles in the paper all the time?! Is the government not sort of shooting themselves in the foot there?
Maybe I have totally missed the point, or got the wrong end of the stick...I have never pretended to be Mrs Current Affairs!!!
But I am pleased to hear of so many new people to HE and that is why I have recently been really brave and added a link to my blog to any postings on the yahoo groups. I remember how important seeing how other people 'did it' when I was making the decision and starting out. Hell, I still do!!!
So this is my little bit for HE....a window in to our world.
And this from a person who hates pulling up the front blind for fear of feeling like a goldfish to passers by!!!! (And we live in a close!!)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi there! Just popping in to say hello :) Thanks for the contact btw, nice to "meet" you!

Big mamma frog said...

Yes I'm a bit random about giving out my blog address. Sometimes I feel bold, othertimes I feel chicken! But I agree, blogs are a fab way for non-home edders to get an idea of how us HE folk muddle along and how diverse we really are. It makes it so much easier to point someone at your blog, rather than try to explain how your family does home education.

funkyhan said...

I'm so glad I met you Carolyn, I don't think I would have been able to consider HE without you... and yet the school system (having taught for only 2 years) would have driven me absolutely potty... and the worry about their emotional wellbeing i such an institution would have done me in I reckon.

I love the idea of autonomy, with a little structure thrown in for good measure... lol. It makes me laugh how this worries people... but then do they realise how little and how narrow the learning is in a school? HE is the best of all worlds imo.