Thursday 21 January 2010

This week.....

Will and daddy finished his Fire Station for his new fire engine...

We had friends over to visit and we swopped some books and DVD's, which has indeed kick started our pioneer/native americam indian/Little house books theme again. I have read aloud the beautifully illustrated Little House easy readers (in one sitting!!!), we have finished our Native American Indian lapbook, and looked back on the Little House in the Big Woods one we did last year. David is keen to do the next Little house book now.



It was good to see another HEing family with similar views and values as us. It is always reassuring and inspiring to talk and share ideas and stories. We took them to one of our local woods and all the children had a great time on the rope swings and exploring the woods.
We have also been watching The Coal House at War, which is a BBC series about three families that go to live a mining village in Wales, set in 1944. It is really good and very different from The 1940's House, because you can really appreciate the community spirit that must have been so important to people during that time.
Jonathan plays darts quite alot here....we have a board up in the living room!!!! He plays 301 with Rob and we call it maths!!!! He goes through a fair amount of flights, and he decided to recycle these odd flights and fashion these....

Here's a close up....its made of wood...of course, what else?!!

The best thing is that it actually flies straight and you can play with them like the normal ones...they are just less dangerous!!!
And I have been knitting more little projects. Rob has been wanting a hat for running to hold his MP3 player ear phones in, so I did that at the weekend from the same WW2 pattern site that Will's balaclava came from, and I finished Tom's first sock (pictures to follow).I also knitted this face cloth yesterday.

I'm really pleased with it. It was made in the spirit of Use it up January and was made with a very small ball of left over cotton yarn form Will's poncho that I knitted. I literally JUST had enough to make it.
Rob has managed to get the kitchen painted with extra durable paint, as the last time we painted it, we must have ued the world's only wash-off-able paint!!!! No good when your kitchen sees as much mud as ours!! So now I have to do the skirting boards, which we didn't even get round to last time and are still yellow from the previous owners obsession with yellow!!! Once we realised the paint wiped off, we kind off lost interest in the whole thing, but this time we have even bought some tiles for the splash back, which is just currently bare wall. Not good when the paint just wipes off on the cloth!
Tom went on Explorer camp in what remained of the snow at the weekend, and came back relatively clean but extremely tired. Scouts it seems do not have as much common sense as you would think....if I mentioned aerosol cans and lighters in the same breath you would probably wince. But in a tent????? The boys in question were sent home and, this is the 'best' bit, one of the parents asked for a refund as her son was missing the second half of the camp????!!!!!!!
So it has been a busy week despite some or all of us being under the weather with sore throats and coughs. Now time for some relaxation..... ;-)

7 comments:

Carol said...

Ooooh, did you make the little house lapbook stuff or get templates from somewhere....started little house books with Jo :-)

Carolyn said...

Homeschoolshare I think...free templates there for lots of topics. The Indian one was a project pack from Hands of a Child...they do LOADS, and although it is an american site and they are priced, they are downloadable immediately.

Carolyn said...

Ooh forgot to say that we made quite a few of the mini books ourselves actually as we didn't always like the pictures that they used!!

Big mamma frog said...

Fab flannel, all of mine have got hand-knitted flannels now, but I can't seem to stop, it's addictive. And those lapbooks look really cool.I've been trying to encourabe my bunch to do lapbooks with occasional success. I thought they'd like them as there is minimal writing involved, but ds1 rolls his eyes every time I mention the word 'lapbook' as if to say 'Oh I'm far too old for THAT sort of thing'. Glad little house is a hit. Seems weird blogging about each other on our own blogs...doo-doo doo-doo (that sort of weird musical thing that doesnt' come out very well when you type it lol).

Carolyn said...

Oops don't know what I did there!!!!
It said....
Yes it is strange isn't it.....what is even wierder is that I knew what doo-doo doo-doo meant!!!!

Big mamma frog said...

It's a novelty to find someone else who is on the same planet as me...at the same time. I could get used to this.

Louise said...

I love the face cloth Carolyn, you are an excellent knitter. I try but find it difficult. I'm currently and very slowly knitting a cushion cover with big chunky needles!

I am reading The Little House in the Big Woods, Emily is reading it so I thouht I'd read with her so we can chat about it. Their life was amazing, so in touch with nature and wilderness and stuff like that.

Baby still very much not born yet!

XX