Monday 4 January 2010

Winter as it should be....woolly socks and hot water bottles!

Isn't it beautiful today? We woke up to a bright moon in a starry sky, with a wonderful frost that has made everything white.Hoar frost. All day. We braved the roads in the car for a walk in the woods first thing this morning. The journey was bright and beautiful...the sun shining across the fields and hedges. Glorious. It wasn't sunny in the woods. In fact it was downright freezing, but still beautiful!
This is how winter should be isn't it....cold and frosty.
We came home and lit the fire. Cosy in the living room we had scrambled egg and toast for lunch.
Just how winter should be.
The boys all have thermal leggings to wear when it is like this. In fact William has worn his since September as trousers generally, but David and Jon got theirs for christmas. A necessary for outdoors folk at the moment!!
Something else the boys got for christmas...my homemade fleece hot water bottle covers...one each for Will, David and Jon.

These are David's socks that I knitted for christmas also....

And here is William modelling his pair just as I finished them this afternoon!

I hope to cast on for Tom's later on. He had neither a hot water bottle cover, or thermal leggings as he seems to have his own central heating system!!! But everyone gets cold toes don't they!!

3 comments:

Big mamma frog said...

Wonderful socks! Reminds me that I must get around to knitting some sometime. The last pair took me most of a year to knit, so perhaps I should find some better instructions!

Carolyn said...

Thank you! Socks are brilliant....no boring long straight knitting as it changes so quickly. I'll post you a copy of these instructions. Dead easy. I can almost do it without the pattern now...but then I have just knitted 3 pairs in quick succession!!! Casting on for No 4 as we speak!

Louise said...

Love the socks Carolyn. They look funky and cosy. Oliver is like Tom, he just doesn't feel the cold. He wears more or less the same clothes all year round, just a t-shirt with a hoodie jacket. Trousers in winter and shorts in summer. That's it! Makes me shiver just thinking about that...

Had a go at plum jam once but it was a disaster and didn't set so I chucked the lot and haven't bothered since. I'd like to give it another go though, we'll see in the summer. X